2018. Vol. 6, no. 1. Mirgaleev I.M., Abyzova R.R.
2018. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 181-198
I.M. Mirgaleev 1, R.R. Abyzova 2
1, 2 Sh.Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences
Kazan, Russian Federation
1 email@example.com, 2 firstname.lastname@example.org
Research objectives: The publication of the Russian translation of the section on the history of the Golden Horde from the work of Shihabutdin Marjani, “Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar” (Information Related to the History of Kazan and Bulgar).
Research materials: This Russian translation of the section on the Golden Horde history from the well-known work of Sh. Marjani “Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar” is presented to the attention of specialists. This section was earlier excluded from the 1989 edition for ideological reasons. A translation of the first volume of this book in the Russian edition of 2005 turned out to be substandard. This section was also published in 2008 in the modern Tatar language. The authors decided to publish this work now in consideration of the fact that the 200th anniversary of Sh. Marjani’s birth will be celebrated this year.
In his work, Sh. Marjani used many written sources by such authors as Rashid al-Din, Ibn Khaldun, Ibn Battuta, Mirkhond, Abu al-Ghazi, Ibn Arabshah, and others. He also used numismatics and epigraphic data, written documents, and historical legends. According to Sh. Marjani, the Golden Horde state became one of the greatest states of the Middle Ages. He pointed to the decline of education and culture, internal strife and feuds, and invasions of external enemies as the main causes for the dissolution of the Golden Horde.
Research results and novelty: This work which the founder of Tatar historiography, Sh.Marjani, dedicated to the Golden Horde history will now be introduced into the present scholarly discussions.
Keywords: Sh. Marjani, Golden Horde, Tatar history, Tatar khanates, Bolgar
For citation: Mirgaleev I.M., Abyzova R.R. Shihabutdin Marjani on the Golden Horde. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 181–198. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-1.181-198
- Gosmanov M.A. Shiһabetdin Mardzhani hаm tarikhi chyganaklarny iyrenu [Sh. Marjani and the study of historical sources]. Mardzhani: tarikh һәm khәzerge zaman [Sh. Marjani: Heritage and Modernity]. Kazan, Master Layn, 1998. 196 p. (In Tatar)
- Marjani Sh. Izvlechenie vestey o sostoyanii Kazani i Bulgara (Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar) [Extracting news on the status of Kazan and Bulgar]. Kazan, Fan Publ., 2005. 255 p. (In Russiаn)
- Marjani Sh. Mөstәfadel-әkhbar fi әkhvali Kazan vә Bolgar (Kazan hәm Bolgar khәllәre turynda faydalanylgan khәbәrlәr) [Extracting news on the status of Kazan and Bulgar]. Kazan, Tatar Book Publ., 1989. 415 p. (In Tatar)
- Marjani Sh. Mоstаfadel-аkhbar fi аkhvali Kazan vа Bolgar [Extracting news on the status of Kazan and Bulgar]. Vol. I. Kazan, Dombrowski Publ., 1897. 264 p. (In Tatar)
- Marjani Sh. Mоstаfadel-аkhbar fi аkhvali Kazan vа Bolgar [Extracting news on the status of Kazan and Bulgar]. Vol. II. Kazan, Kazan State University Publ., 1900. 368 p. (In Tatar)
- Mirgaleev I.M. K voprosu o dostovernosti perevoda na russkiy yazyk knigi Sh. Mardzhani “Mustafad al-akhbar” [To the question of the reliability of the translation into Russian of the book by Sh. Marjani “Mustafad al-akhbar”]. Zolotoordynskaya tsivilizatsiya=Golden Horde Civilization. Is. 2, pp. 239–241. (In Russiаn)
- Mirgaleev I.M. Shiһabetdin Mardzhani mirasynnan [From the heritage of Shihabetdin Marjani]. The Echo of the Ages. 2008, no. 1, pp. 179–195. (In Tatar)
- Radlov V.V. Yarlyki Toktamysha i Temir-Kutluga [The Yarliks of Toktamysh and Temir-Kutlug]. Zapiski Vostochnogo otdeleniya Rossiyskogo arkheologicheskogo obshchestva [Notes of the Eastern Branch of the Russian Archaeological Society]. 1888. Vol. III, pp. 1–40. (In Russiаn)
- Ötemish Hajji. Qara tavarikh [The Black History]. Kazan, Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2017. 312 p.
- Yuzeev A.N. Filosofskaya mysl’ tatarskogo naroda [Philosophical Thought of the Tatar People]. Kazan, Tatar Book Publ., 2007. 214 p. (In Russiаn)
About the author: Il’nur M. Mirgaleev – Cand. Sci. (History), Head of the Usmanov Center for Research on the Golden Horde and Tatar Khanates, Sh.Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6013-6944, Researcher ID: J-9533-2017 (7, Baturin Str., Kazan 420111, Russian Federation). E-mail: email@example.com
Rezeda R. Abyzova – Cand. Sci. (Philology), Senior Research Fellow, Faezhanov Center of History and Theory of National Education, Sh. Marjani Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (7, Baturin Str., Kazan 420014, Russian Federation). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received December 5, 2017 Accepted for publication March 6, 2018
Published online March 29, 2018