2018. Vol. 6, no. 1. Rustemov O.D.
2018. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 123-133
Ardahan , Turkey
Research objective: Linguistic analysis of the Crimean Tatar language in official documents against the backdrop of the literary and written traditions of the Golden Horde, a polity to which the Crimean ulus belonged for quite a long time.
Research materials: The yarlik of the Crimean khan, Bora Gaza Girey, which we transliterated and translated into Russian, is used as an illustrative text. The language of this yarlik makes it possible to analyze the lexical and grammatical changes in the written language of the Golden Horde which occurred in Crimea under local and Ottoman dialectical influences. Being subjected to changes of this kind, the Golden Horde’s Türki can already be defined as having shifted to the Crimean mixed-Türki of the stated period. The study of the language of the Crimean khans’ yalriks and the parallel study of the language of other Crimean official documents provide an accurate picture of the language processes in the Crimea during the period of the Crimean Khanate, not only at the level of written language, but also at the level of the spoken one.
Results and novelty of the research: The efforts of the author on the analysis of the Crimean variant of the Türki language were undertaken for the first time in Turkic studies. As a result, the author revealed not only the substrata of the Ottoman, but also the local Oghuz-Kypchak dialect, recorded in the Codex Cumanicus.
Keywords: mixing of languages, yarlyk, Desht-i Kypchak, Türki language, Codex Cumanicus, Crimea
For citation: Rustemov O.D. The Formation of the Crimean Tatar Literary Language in the 15th–17th centuries. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018. Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 123–133. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-1.123-133
- Bartol’d V.V. Raboty po istorii i filologii tyurkskikh i mongol’skikh na-rodov [Works on the history and philology of the Turkic and Mongolian peoples]. Moscow, Vostochnaya literatura Publ., 2002. 757 p. (In Russian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V. Materialy dlya istorii Krymskogo khanstva, izvlechennye, po rasporyazheniyu Imperatorskoy Akademii Nauk, iz Moskovskogo Glavnogo Arkhiva Ministerstva Inostrannykh Del [Materials for the history of the Crimean Khanate extracted from the Moscow Main Archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by order of the Imperial Academy of Sciences]. St. Petersbug, 1864. 941 p. (In Russian)
- Gadizheva N.Z., Serebryakov V.A. Sravnitel’no-istoricheskaya grammatika tyurkskikh yazykov. Sintaksis [Comparative-historical grammar of Turkic languages. Syntax]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1986. 284 p. (In Russian)
- Grigor’ev A.R. Ofitsial’nyy yazyk Zolotoy Ordy XIII–XIV vv. [The official language of the Golden Horde in the 13th–14th century] Tyurkologicheskiy sbornik. 1977 [Studia Turcologica. 1977]. Otv. red. A.N. Kononov. Moscow, 1981, pp. 81–89. (In Russian)
- Dokumenty Krymskogo khanstva iz sobraniya Khuseyna Feyzkhanova [Documents of the Crimean Khanate from the collection of Husein Feizkhanov]. Sost. i translit. R.R. Abduzhemilev; nauch. red. I. Mirgaleev. Simferopol, OOO «Konstanta». 2017. 816 p.
- Nadzhip E.D., Blagova G.F. Tyurki yazyk [The Türki language]. Yazyki mira. Tyurkskie yazyki [Languages of the world. Türkic languages]. Otv. red. Tenishev E.R. Bishkek, Kygyzstan, 1997, pp. 126–138. (In Russian)
- Zaytsev I. Krymskaya istoricheskaya traditsiya XV–XIX vv.: puti razvitiya: teksty i istochniki [The Crimean historical tradition of the 15th–19th century: ways of development: texts and sources]. Moscow, Vostochnaya Literatura, 2009. 304 p. (In Russian)
- Argunşah M., Güner G. Codex Cumanicus. İstanbul, Kesit, 2015. 1079 p. (In Turkish)
- Bronevskiy, Martin “Kırım”. Çeviren: Kemal Ortaylı. Ankara, EGE Matbaası, 1970. 34 p. (In Turkish)
- Codex Cumanicus / Komanisches wörterbuch. Edidit K. Grönbech. Kopenhagen, Einar Munksgaard, 1942. 289 p. (In Turkish)
- Kaşgari, Mahmud. Divanü Lûgat-it-Türk Tercümesi. Çeviren Besim Atalay. Dört cilt. Ankara, Türk Tarih Kurumu Basımevi, 1992. (In Turkish)
- Toparlı R., Vural H., Karaatlı R. Kıpçak Türkçesi Sözlüğü. Recep Toparlı, Hanifi Vural, Recep Karaatlı. Ankara, TDK Yayınları, 2007. 338 p. (In Turkish)
About the author: Oleg D. Rustemov – Cand. Sci. (Philology), Docent, Ardahan University, ORCID http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6444-2885 (Ardahan 75000, Turkey). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received December 14, 2017 Accepted for publication March 02, 2018
Published online March 29, 2018