2018, vol. 6, no. 2. Zaytsev I.V.
2018, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 304-311
I.V. Zaytsev 1,2
1 Institute of Scientific Information of Social Sciences
of the Russian Academy of Sciences
2 Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objectives: Medieval Tatar epitaphs from Kasimov.
Research materials: Texts found on two medieval Tatar tombstones from Kasimov.
Research results and novelty: This article is a publication of the texts of two medieval Tatar tombstones from Kasimov which have been preserved in the collection of Novy Ierusalim Museum (Moscow Region). The first epitaph belongs to a certain Syun-biq-qain, the daughter of the Sultan of Qaybulla. She died on Monday at the end of Muharram 1003 AH (early October, 1594), aged 27 years. The second epitaph is partially preserved and contains neither the name nor date of death of the buried person. Both epitaphs begin by bearing Arabic Hadiths.
Keywords: Tatar medieval epigraphy, Kasimov Khanate, Kasimov Tatars, Muslim tombstones
For citation: Zaytsev I.V. Two Medieval Tatar Tombstones from Kasimov. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 304–311. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-2.304-311
Acknowledgments: I am indebted to Alexander G. Avdeev and Nikita Saveliev for the photos of the tombstones.
- Belyakov A.V. Chingisidy v Rossii. Prosopograficheskoe issledovanie [The Chinggisids in Russia. A prosopographic study]. Ryazan, 2011. (In Russian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovskikh tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Research on the tsars and tsarevichs of Kasimov]. Part 1. St. Petersburg, 1863. (InRussian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovskikh tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Research on the tsars and tsarevichs of Kasimov]. Part 2. St. Petersburg, 1864. (In Russian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovskikh tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Research on the tsars and tsarevichs of Kasimov]. Part 3. St. Petersburg, 1866. (In Russian)
- Voytov V.E. Materialy po istorii Gosudarstvennogo muzeya Vostoka. 1918–1950. Lyudi, veshchi, dela [Materials for the History of the State Museum of Orient, 1918–1950. Persons, artifacts, activity]. Pod obshchey redaktsiey V.A. Nabatchikova. Moscow, 2003. (In Russian)
- Zelenskaya G.M., Svyatoslavskiy A.V. Nekropol’ Novogo Ierusalima. Istoriko-semioticheskoe issledovanie [Necropolis of the New Jerusalem Monastery. A historical and semiotic research]. Moscow, 2006 (In Russian)
- Sravnitel’nyy slovar’ turetsko-tatarskikh narechiy so vklyucheniem upotrebitel’neyshikh slov arabskikh i persidskikh [Comparative dictionary of Turkish-Tatar dialects with the inclusion of the most common Arabic and Persian words]. Sostavil L.Z. Budagov. St. Petersburg, 1870. Vol. II. (In Russian)
About the author: Il’ya V. Zaytsev – Dr. Sci. (History), Acting Director of the Institute of Scientific Information of Social Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences (51/21, Nakhimovsky prospect, Moscow 117418, Russian Federation); Senior Researcher Fellow of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (19, Dmitriy Ulyanov Str., Moscow 117036, Russian Federation). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received February 20, 2018 Accepted for publication May 30, 2018
Published online June 29, 2018