2019, vol. 7, no. 2. Belyakov A.V.
2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 372-391
Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objectives: To analyze all historical evidence we have about the Siberian queens and princesses – the wives and daughters of the Siberian Khan, Kuchum – captured in August 1598. At the same time, this work was primarily interested in information about their origins and how their fate in Russia unfolded.
Materials: There are more than a limited number of documents on the history of the Siberian queens at the turn of the 16th–17th centuries. In addition to several newly discovered documents, the author turned to the originals of the monuments published in the first half of the 19th century. It was found that publishers had distorted the original text in a number of places. They ignored revisions and later marginal notes. In addition, in some places the text has undergone editing in order to make it more understandable. As a result, it turned out that for almost 200 years researchers used a defective source in their research.
Results and novelty of the research: It was established that at least two queens of Kuchum Khan came from the lineage of the Kazakh Shibanids, and Kasimov’s king, Uraz-Muhammed b. Ondan, was Kuchum’s stepson. Another one of the queens was from the Chatsky Mirzas. The captive women got along with overall difficulty in Russia. The reasons for their difficulties should be sought in the events of their Siberian life.
Having obtained such a significant number of noble captives, Moscow attempted to use them to pacify their relatives who remained in Siberia. This project failed for two reasons: 1) poor awareness in the Kremlin about the features of the social structure of the Siberian khanate and 2) the events of the Time of Troubles began soon after the women’s capture. In Russia, many of these women were married to the Siberian and Urgench Chinggisids and the Nogai Mirzas.
It was assumed that the marriage policy of the Siberian Shibanids in general was typical of the states of the East. At the same time, it was most similar to the matrimonial policy of the Crimean Gireys. The data obtained thus far allows us to raise the question of the possibility of reconstructing the personal composition of the court of Kuchum Khan at the end of the 16th century.
Keywords: Kuchumovichi, Siberian Khanate, Moscow State of the end of the 16th – the first half of the 17th century, Kazakh Khanate, Nogai Mirzas
For сitation: Belyakov A.V. Siberian Queens. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 372–391. (in Russian) DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2019-7-2.372-391
- Akty vremeni mezhdutsarstvovaniya (1610 g. 17 iyulya – 1613 g.) [Acts of the time of interregnum (1610, July 17 – 1613).]. Moscow: Tipografiya G. Lisskera i D. Sovko, 1915. 264 p. (In Russian)
- Akty istoricheskie, sobrannye i izdannye Arkheograficheskoyu komissieyu. [Historical acts collected and published by the Archeographical Commission.] St. Petersburg: Tip. II-go Otdeleniya Sobstvennoy E.I.V. Kantselyarii, 1841. Vol. II. 482 p. (In Russian)
- Antonov A.V. Zemlevladel’tsy Romanovskogo uezda po materialam pistsovoy knigi 1593–1594 godov. [Landowners of the Romanovskiy district based on materials from the scribal book of 1593–1594]. Arkhiv russkoy istorii = Archive of Russian history. Moscow: Drevlekhranilishche, 2007, pp. 574–601. (In Russian)
- Ankhimyuk Yu.V. Razryadnaya kniga 1598–1602 godov. [The Official Order Book of 1598–1602]. Russkiy diplomatariy = Russian diplomatary. Moscow: Drevlekhranilishche, 2003. Is. 9, pp. 361–413. (In Russian)
- Atygaev N.A. Khronologiya pravleniya kazakhskikh khanov (XV – serediny XVI v.). [Chronology of the rule of the Kazakh Khans (15th – middle of the 16th century)] Tyurkologicheskiy sbornik = Turkological collection. Moscow: Vostochnaya literatura, 2007, pp. 50–62. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Araslan Aleevich – posledniy tsar’ kasimovskiy [Araslan Aleevich – The Last Tsar of Kasimov]. Ryazanskaya starina = Olden Time of Ryazan. 2004–2005. Ryazan: Kray, 2006. Is. 2–3, pp. 8–31. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Isiney Karamyshev syn Musaitov. Neizvestnyy geroy Smutnogo vremeni. [Isine Karamyshev son of Musait. Unknown Hero of the Time of Troubles]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo = Bulletin of N.I. Lobachevsky Nizhny Novgorod University. 2012, no. 6. Chast’ 3, pp. 82–87. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Kak zvali bol’shogo sibirskogo karachu? [What was the name of the great Siberian Karachu?]. Istoriya, ekonomika i kul’tura srednevekovykh tyurko-tatarskikh gosudarstv Zapadnoy Sibiri. Materialy II Vserossiyskoy nauchnoy konferentsii (Kurgan, 17–18 aprelya 2014g.) = History, economy and culture of medieval Turkic-Tatar states of Western Siberia. Proceedings of the II All-Russian Research Conference (Kurgan, April 17–18, 2014). Kurgar: Kurgan State University Publ., 2014, pp. 63–64. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. O vremeni i meste napisaniya prodolzheniya sochineniya Utemish-khadzhi «Kara tavarikh» (kommentarii k tekstu). [On the Time and Place of Writing the Continuation of Ötemish-Hajji’s “Qara Tavarikh” (Comments on the Text)] Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 370–392. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Sibirskie vykhodtsy v Rossii v nachale XVII v. Novye nakhodki. [Siberian immigrants in Russia at the beginning of the 17th century. New finds]. Istoriya, ekonomika i kul’tura srednevekovykh tyurko-tatarskikh gosudarstv Zapadnoy Sibiri: materialy III Vserossiyskoy (s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem) nauchnoy konferentsii (Kurgan, 21–22 aprelya 2017 g.) = History, economics and culture of medieval Turkic-Tatar states of Western Siberia: Proceedings of the III All-Russian (with international participation) Research Conference (Kurgan, April 21–22, 2017). Kurgan: Kurgan State University Publ., 2017, pp. 84–86. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Sluzhashchie Posol’skogo prikaza 1645–1682 gg. [Employees of the Embassy Order in 1645–1682]. St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya, 2017. 368 p. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Uraz-Mukhammed ibn Ondan. [Uraz-Mohammed ibn Ondan] Mininskie chteniya: 2006 = Minin readings: 2006. N. Novgorod: N. Novgorod State Universitet Publ., 2007, pp. 29–59. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Tsarevich Avgan-Mukhammed ibn Arab-Mukhammed v Rossii pervoy poloviny XVII v. [Tsarevich Avgan-Mohammed ibn Arab-Mohammed in Russia in the first half of the 17th century] Tyurkologicheskiy sbornik: 2006 = Turkological collection: 2006. Moscow: Vostochnaya literatura, 2007, pp. 95–112. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Chingisidy v Rossii XV – XVII vekov: prosopograficheskoe issledovanie. [The Chinggisids in Russia of the 15th–17th centuries: prosopographic research]. Ryazan: Ryazan. Mir, 2011. 512 p. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V., Vinogradov A.V., Moiseev M.V. Institut atalychestva v postzolotoordynskom mire [Institution of Atalykship in the Post-Golden Horde World]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2017, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 412–436. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V., Engalycheva G.A. Dokumenty o proiskhozhdenii tolmachey Posol’skogo prikaza Kuchumovykh. [Documents on the origin of interpreters of the Ambassadors Order of the Kuchumovs]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo = Bulletin of N.I. Lobachevsky Nizhny Novgorod University. 2017, no. 2, pp. 16–23. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V., Maslyuzhenko D.N. Sibirsko-bukharsko-nogayskie otnosheniya v svete perepiski bukharskogo khana Abdallakha s sibirskim khanom Kuchumom. [Siberian-Bukhara-Nogai relations in the light of the correspondence of Bukhara Khan Abdullah with the Siberian Khan Kuchum]. Stratum plus. 2016, no. 6: Pax Mongolica i evropeyskie potryaseniya XIII–XIV vv., pp. 229–243. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V., Moiseev M.V. Syuyun-bike: iz nogayskikh stepey v kasimovskie tsaritsy [Syuyun-Bike: From the Nogai steppes to Kasimov’s queen]. Materialy i issledovaniya po ryazanskomu kraevedeniyu = Materials and research on Ryazan regional studies. Ryazan’: RIORO, 2004. VOL. 5, pp. 32–44. (In Russian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovskikh tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Study on the Kasim’s tsars and princes] St. Petersburg: Tip. Imperatorskoy Akademii nauk, 1864. Ch. 2. 520 p. (In Russian)
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovskikh tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Study on the Kasim’s tsars and princes]. St. Petersburg: Tip. Imperatorskoy Akademii nauk, 1866. Part III. 521 p. (In Russian)
- Gruneveg M. (o. Ventseslav): confessor of Marina Mnishek. Zapiski o torgovoy poezdke v Moskvu v 1584–1585 gg. [Notes about the trade trip to Moscow in 1584–1585]. Moscow: Pamyatniki istoricheskoy mysli, 2013. 384 p. (In Russian)
- Dokumenty Pechatnogo prikaza (1613–1615 gg.). [Printed Order Documents (1613–1615)]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1994. 479 p. (In Russian)
- Zaytsev I.V. Potomki Chingiskhana v Moskve i Stambule: sravnitel’nyy analiz / Chingisidy v Rossii: «zolotoy rod» posle padeniya Zolotoy Ordy. [The descendants of Chinggis Khan in Moscow and Istanbul: a comparative analysis / The Chinggisids in Russia: The “Golden Kin” after the fall of the Golden Horde]. Rossiyskaya istoriya = Russian history. 2013, no. 3, pp. 21–23. (In Russian)
- Istoriya tatar s drevneyshikh vremen v semi tomakh [The history of the Tatars from ancient times in seven volumes]. Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2014. T. IV: Tatarskie gosudarstva XV–XVIII vv. [Tatar States of the 15th–18th centuries.] 1080 p. (In Russian)
- Kazakhsko-russkie otnosheniya v XVI–XVIII vv. [Kazakh-Russian relations in the 16th–18th centuries.]. Alma-Ata: AN Kazakhskoy SSR, 1961. 741 p.
- Markhotskiy N. Istoriya Moskovskoy voyny [History of the Moscow War]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2000. 223 p. (In Russian)
- Maslyuzhenko D.N. Etnopoliticheskaya istoriya lesostepnogo Pritobol’ya v srednie veka [Ethnopolitical history of the forest-steppe Tobol region in the Middle Ages]. Kurgan: Kurgan State Universitet Publ., 2008. 168 p. (In Russian)
- Maslyuzhenko D.N., Ryabinina E.A. Brachnaya politika praviteley Tyumenskogo i Sibirskogo khanstv. [The marriage policy of the rulers of the Tyumen and Siberian Khanates]. Srednevekovye tyurko-tatarskie gosudarstva = Medieval Turkic-Tatar states. 2017, no. 9, pp. 103–109. (In Russian)
- Materialy po istorii Bashkirskoy ASSR [Materials on the history of the Bashkir ASSR]. Moscow: Leningrad: Akademiya nauk SSSR, 1936. 632 p. (In Russian)
- Miller G.F. Istoriya Sibiri [Siberian history] Moscow: Vostochnaya literatura, 2000. Vol. II. 796 p. (In Russian)
- Moiseev M.V. Zemlevladenie sluzhilykh tatar v Kolomenskom uezde v kontse XVI v.(predvaritel’nye zamechaniya). [Land tenure of the Service Tatars in the Kolomna district at the end of the 16th century (preliminary observations)]. Vestnik universiteta Dmitriya Pozharskogo = Bulletin of Dmitry Pozharsky University. 2017, no. 2, pp. 236–247. (In Russian)
- Moiseev M.V. K istorii zemlevladeniya roda Yusupovykh v nachale XVII veka. [To the history of land tenure of the Yusupov family in the early 17th century]. Russkiy diplomatariy = Russian diplomatary. Moscow: Drevlekhranilishche, 2004. Is. 10, pp. 197–202. (In Russian)
- Nekrasov A.M. Izbrannye trudy [Selected Works]. Nal’chik: Izdatel’skiy otdel KBIGI, 2015. 255 p. (In Russian)
- Pistsovye knigi XVI v. [Scribe books of the 16th century.] St. Petersburg: Tipografiya Vtorogo Otdeleniya Sobstvennoy E.I.V. Kantselyarii, 1872. Otdelenie I.: mestnosti guberniy Moskovskoy, Vladimirskoy, Kostromskoy [Areas of the Moscow, Vladimir, Kostroma provinces]. 924 p. (In Russian)
- Posol’skaya kniga po svyazyam Moskovskogo gosudarstva s Krymom 1571–1577 gg. [The ambassadorial book on relations of the Moscow State with the Crimea in 1571–1577.]. Moscow: Mardzhani Publ., 2016. 400 p. (In Russian)
- Russkiy arkhiv Yana Petra Sapegi 1608–1611 godov. Tekst, perevody, kommentarii [The Russian Archive of Jan Petr Sapieha for the years 1608–1611. Text, translations, comments]. Volgograd: Izd-vo Volgogradskogo filiala FGBOU VPO RANKhiGS, 2012. 688 p. (In Russian)
- Sobranie gosudarstvennykh gramot i dogovoro. [Collection of state certificates and treaties]. Moscow: Tip. Selivanovskogo, 1819. Vol. II. 399 p. (In Russian)
- Trepavlov V.V. Sibirskiy yurt posle Ermaka: Kuchum i Kuchumovichi v bor’be za revansh [Siberian Yurt after Ermak: Kuchum and Kuchumovichi in the fight for revenge]. Moscow: Vostochnaya literatura, 2012. 231 p. (In Russian)
- Trepavlov V.V., Belyakov A.V. Sibirskie tsarevichi v istorii Rossii [Siberian princes in the history of Russia]. St. Petersburg: Oleg Abyshko, 2018. 496 p. (In Russian)
- Trutovskiy V.K. Nadgrobnye nadpisi iz Tekie Afgan Mokhammed Sultana v g. Kasimove. [Gravestone inscriptions from Tekie of Afgan Mohammed Sultan in Kasimov] Trudy Ryazanskoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii = Proceedings of the Ryazan Scientific Archival Commission. Ryazan’: Tipografiya Gubernskogo pravleniya, 1891. Vol. V, pp. 149–153. (In Russian)
About the autor: Andrey V. Belyakov – Dr. Sci. (History), Research Associate, Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (19, Dm. Ulyanov Str., Moscow 117292, Russian Federation). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received January 15, 2019 Accepted for publication March 5, 2019
Published online June 29, 2019