2019, vol. 7, no. 2. Zaytsev I.V.
2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 333-338
I.V. Zaytsev 1,2
1 Institute of Scientific Information of Social Sciences
of the Russian Academy of Sciences
2 Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract: Objective: This paper attempts to ascertain the etymology of the Russian word tavrui in connection with the possibility of the existence of tugra among the Kazan khans. Research materials: Scribal materials of the Kazan Uyezd in 1565–1568. Results and novelty of the research: The author shows that the Russian word tavrui, mentioned in the scribal book in relation to the khan’s signs of ownership, despite its apparent proximity to the word for “brand”, may in fact be etymologically related to the Turkic word Togrul “Falcon” rather than to the Arabic طَوْرْ .
Кеywords: Tugra, Kazan khanate, etymology, scribe materials
For citation: Zaytsev I.V. Did the Kazan Khans Have Tugra? Etymological Note from the Era of the Kazan Khanate: “Tavrui”. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2019, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 333–338. (In Russian) DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2019-7-2.333-338
- Abzalov L.F. Khanskie pistsy. Iz istorii stanovleniya i razvitiya kantselyarskoy sluzhby khanov Zolotoy Ordy [Khan’s Scribes. From the History of the Formation and Development of the Clerical Service of the Khans of the Golden Horde]. Kazan: Yaz Publ., 2011, pp. 197. (In Russian)
- Amrakhov M. Vozniknovenie gosudarstvennosti i formy zemlevladeniya u tyurkov (Uchebnoe posobie) [The Emergence of Statehood and Forms of Land Tenure among the Turks (Tutorial)]. Baku: Mutardzhim, 2011, pp. 120. (In Russian)
- Drevnerusskie rukopisi Pushkinskogo doma (obzor fondov) [Old Russian Manuscripts of Pushkin House (review of funds)]. Sostavil V.I. Malyshev. Moscow, Leningrad, 1965. 230 p. (l. 38 ob.–39). (In Russian)
- Istoriya Tatarii v materialakh i dokumentakh [History of Tatarstan in Materials and Documents]. Moscow: Sotsgekiz, 1937. 532 p. (In Russian)
- Istoriya Tatarskoy ASSR [History of the Tatar Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic]. Vol. 1. Kazan, 1957. (In Russian)
- Mukhamed’yarov Sh.F. Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskiy i gosudarstvennyy stroy Kazanskogo khanstva (XV–pervaya polovina XVI vv.) [Socio-economic and Political System of the Kazan Khanate (15th – first half of the 16th centuries)]. Kazan: Ikhlas Publ., 2012. 277 p.
- Pistsovoe opisanie Kazani i Kazanskogo uezda 1565–1568 godov. Publikatsiya teksta [The Written Description of Kazan and Kazan County in 1565–1568. Text’s Publication]. Kazan: FƏN Publ., 2006. 660 p. (In Tatar)
- Tishin V.V. K voprosu o proiskhozhdenii tugry sel’dzhukskikh sultanov [On the Question of the Origin of the Seljuk Sultans’ Tugra]. Transcaucasica. Yuzhnyy Kavkaz: istoriya, religiya, obshchestvo [Transcaucasica. South Caucasus: History, Religion, Society]. Sost. Z.V.Kananchev. Moscow: MBA, 2016. Is. 3, pp. 175–188. (In Russian)
- Usmanov M.A. Zhalovannye yarlyki Dzhuchieva Ulusa XIV–XVI vv. [Granted Charters of the Jochid Ulus of the 14th–16th cenury]. Kazan: Kazan State Universitet Publ., 1979. 321 p. (In Russian)
- Faizov S.F. Tugra Ivana Groznogo [Tugra of Ivan the Terrible]. Zolotoordynskoe nasledie. Is. 2. Materialy vtoroy Mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii «Politicheskaya i sotsial’no-ekonomicheskaya istoriya Zolotoy Ordy», posvyashchennoy pamyati M.A.Usmanova [Golden Horde Heritage. Issue 2: Proceedings of the Second International Research Conference “The Political and Socio-Economic History of the Golden Horde”, Dedicated to the Memory of M.A. Usmanov]. Kazan’, 29–30 marta 2011 g. Otv. red. i sost. I.M. Mirgaleev. Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2011, pp. 359–362. (In Russian)
- Fasmer M. Etimologicheskiy slovar’ russkogo yazyka. Perevod s nemetskogo i dopolneniya O.N.Trubacheva. Vol. IV (T-Yashchur) [Etymological Dictionary of the Russian Language. Translation from German and additions by O.N. Trubachev. Vol. IV (T–Yaschur)]. Moscow: Progress, 1973. 855 p. (In Russian)
About the author: Il’ya V. Zaytsev – Dr. Sci. (History), Acting Director of the Institute of Scientific Information of Social Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences (51/21, Nakhimovsky prospect, Moscow 117418, Russian Federation); Senior Researcher Fellow of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (19, Dmitriy Ulyanov Str., Moscow 117036, Russian Federation). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received March 18, 2019 Accepted for publication May 30, 2019
Published online June 29, 2019