2019, vol. 7, no. 3. Maslyuzhenko D.N.
2019, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 485-496
Kurgan State University
Kurgan, Russian Federation
Abstract: Objectives and research materials: In 1885, Shihabuddin Marjani wrote the work “Mustafa al-Akhbar fi ahwal Kazan va Bulgar” (“The Mine of Information about Events in Kazan and Bulghar”). By analyzing chapters of the history on the Siberian branch of the Shibanid dynasty, the author of the present article aims to identify the main sources for the hypotheses proposed by S. Marjani. In the part of the work published in Russian, there are several stories related to representatives of the branch of the Shibanid dynasty who were enthroned in Tyumen and Siberia. Stories about them are scattered in various sections: “Section about the Toqtamishids”, “Section about the New State with the Capital in Kazan”, “Section about the Kasimov Khanate in the Lands of Kirman”, “Section about the Siberian Khans”. In addition, some information is available in the “Section about the Sheibanid Khans” and “Section about the Sheibanids Who Ruled in Mawarannahr”.
Results and novelty of the research: A comparison of Marjani’s accounts with the sources published in Russian at that time allows us to suggest that Marjani could have made use of “The Genealogical Tree of the Turks” by Abu-l-Ghazi, the “Sheibaniade” by an unknown author and published in Kazan in 1849 by I. Berezin, the “Collection of Materials Relating to the History of the Golden Horde” by V. Tizengauzen (Volume I. Extracts from Arabic sources), and “Studies of the Kasimov Tsars and Princes” by V.V. Velyaminov-Zernov. With a certain degree of probability, he also could have used the work, “Mukim-Khan’s history” by Muhammad Yusuf Munshi. In such a case, Marjani was apparently the first historian in the Russian milieu who used Munshi’s text and briefly reviewed the history of the formation and collapse of the Uzbek khanate of Abu al-Khair. Although suffering from certain factual flaws, the work of Marjani contained important information on the history of the Shibanids. Moreover, in some cases, the author’s assumptions were ahead of the historical scholarship of his time; for example, regarding the khan’s titles of Ali and Ishim. This observation indicates the need for further research into the sources used by this author.
Keywords: Siberian khanate, Shibanids, Sh. Marjani, Sheibaniade, Abu-l-Ghazi, Abu al-Khair
For citation: Maslyuzhenko D.N. The Siberian Branch of the Shibanid Dynasty in Sh. Marjani’s Studies. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2019, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 485–496. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2019-7-3.485-496
- Abul’-Gazi-Bakhadur-khan. Rodoslovnoe drevo tyurkov [The genealogical tree of the Turks]. In Abul’-Gazi-Bakhadur-khan. Rodoslovnoe drevo tyurkov. Ioakinf. Istoriya pervykh chetyrekh khanov doma Chingisova. Len-Pul’ Stenli. Musul’manskie dinastii [The Genealogical Tree of the Turks. Father Ioakinf. The History of the First Four Khans of the Chinggis’ House. Lane-Poole, Stanley. The Mohammadan Dynasties]. Moscow: Tashkent, Baku, 1996, pp. 3–186. (In Russian).
- Adamov A.A., Balyunov I.V., Danilov P.G. Gorod Tobol’sk. Arkheologicheskiy ocherk [The City of Tobolsk. Archaeological sketch]. Tobolsk, 2008. 114 p. (In Russian).
- Atlasi H. Istorija Sibiri [History of Siberia]. Kazan: Tatar book Publ., 2005. 96 p. (In Russian).
- Vel’yaminov-Zernov V.V. Issledovanie o kasimovski tsaryakh i tsarevichakh [Study of the Kasimov Tsars and Princes]. St. Petersburg: Typography of Imperial Academy of Sciences, 1866. 502 p. (In Russian).
- Gramota tsarya Fedora Ioannovicha k sibirskomu tsaryu Kuchumu o prekrashchenii ego presledovaniya i o pozvolenii emu priyekhat’ v Rossiyu dlya polucheniya zameny za poteryannoye Sibirskoye tsarstvo (1597 g. maya 20) [The letter of Tsar Fyodor Ivanovich to the Siberian Tsar Kuchum about the termination of his prosecution and about permission to arrive to Russia for receiving replacement for the lost Siberian Tsardom (May 20, 1597)]. Tobol’skiy khronograf [The Tobolsk Chronograph]. Ekaterinburg: Altra, Culture, 1998, is. 2. pp. 11–13. (In Russian).
- Iskhakov D.M., Tychinskikh Z.A. O shibanidskom «slede» v Bulgarskom vilayyate Ulusa Dzhuchi [On the Shibanid “trace” in the Bulgar vilayet of the ulus of Jochi]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2013, no. 2, pp. 128–145. (In Russian)
- Marjani Sh. Izvlechenie vestey o sostoyanii Kazani i Bulgara Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar [Fetching News about the Status of Kazan and Bulgar]. Kazan, Iman, 2005, part 1. 255 p. (In Russian)
- Maslyuzhenko D.N. O mekhanizmakh i printsipakh nasledovaniya khanskoy vlasti sredi Shibanidov [About mechanisms and principles of inheritance of the Khan’s power among the Shibanids]. Voprosy istorii i arkheologii Zapadnogo Kazakhstana [Question of History and Archaeology of Western Kazakhstan]. 2011, no. 1, pp 43–52. (In Russian)
- Maslyuzhenko D.N., Ryabinina E.A. Shibanidy i Taybugidy v 1563 goda: znacheniye v istorii i istoriografii Sibirskogo khanstva [The Shibanids and Taibugids in 1563: the value in the history and historiography of the Siberian khanate]. XIII Faizkhanovskiye chteniya. Naslediye Zolotoy Ordy v gosudarstvennosti i kul’turnykh traditsiyakh narodov Evrazii: materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [The XIII Faizkhanov Readings. The Heritage of the Golden Horde in the Statehood and Cultural Traditions of the Peoples of Eurasia: Proceedings of the International Research Conference.]. Moscow: Medina, 2017, pp. 457–468. (In Russian).
- Materialy po istorii kazakhskikh khanstv XV–XVIII vekov (izvlecheniya. iz persidskikh i tyurkskikh sochineniy) [Materials on the History of the Kazakh Khanates in the 15th–18th centuries (extracts from the Persian and Turkic writings)]. Suleymenov B. [otv. red.]. Alma-Ata: Nauka Publ., 1969. 655 p. (In Russian).
- Mirgaleyev I.M. K voprosu o dostovernosti perevoda na russkiy yazyk knigi SH.Mardzhani «Mustafad al-akhbar» (Mardzhani Shikhabutdin. Izvlecheniye vestey o sostoyanii Kazani i Bulgara (Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar). Chast’ I. – Kazan: FEN, 2005. 255 s. So starotatarskogo yazyka perevel R.K. Adygamov, redaktor izdaniya – Valiula Khazrat Yagkub) [On the issue of correctness of the translation of Sh.Marjani’s book “Mustefadul-ahbar”]. Zolotoordynskaya tsivilizatsiya =Golden Horde civilization. Kazan, 2009, Is. 2, pp. 239–241. (In Russian).
- Mirgaleev I.M. Soobshchenie Prodolzhatelya «Chingiz-name» Utemisha-khadzhi o pozdnikh Shibanidah [Information of the Continuator of the “Chingiz-nama” of Ötemish Haji on the later Shibanids]. Istoriya, ekonomika i kul’tura srednevekovykh tyurko-tatarskikh gosudarstv Zapadnoy Sibiri. Materialy II Vserossiyskoy nauchnoy konferentsii [History, Economics and Culture of Medieval Turko-Tatar States in Western Siberia. Proceedings of the II Russian Research Conference]. Kurgan: Kurgan State University Publ., 2014, pp. 64–66 (In Russian).
- Mirgaleev I.M., Abyzova R.R. Shikhabetdin Mardzhani o Zolotoy Orde [Shihabutdin Marjani on the Golden Horde]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 181–198. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-1.181-198. (In Russian).
- Munshi Mukhammed Yusuf. Mukim-khanskaya istoriya [Mukim-Khan’s Story]. Tashkent, 1956. 300 p. (In Russian).
- Parunin A.V. Pokhody Sibirskikh Shibanidov na Kazan’ v kontse XV v. [Campaigns of the Siberian Shibanids against Kazan in the end of the fifteenth century]. Voprosy istorii i arkheologii srednevekovykh kochevnikov i Zolotoy Ordy: sbornik nauchnykh statey, posvyashchennykh pamyati V.P.Kostyukova [Questions of History and Archaeology of the Medieval Nomads and the Golden Horde. Collected papers in memory of V.P. Kostyukov]. Astrakhan: Astrakhan University, 2011, pp. 102–109. (In Russian)
- Sbornik materialov, otnosyashchikhsya k istorii Zolotoy Ordy. Tom. I. Izvlecheniya iz sochineniy arabskikh [Collection of Materials Relating to the History of the Golden Horde. Vol. 1. Extracts from the Arabic Writings]. V. Tizengauzen (ed.). St. Petersburg: 1884. 555 p. (In Russian).
- Trepavlov V.V., Belyakov A.V. Sibirskie tsarevichi v istorii Rossii [The Siberian Tsareviches in the History of Russia]. St. Petersburg: Publishing House of Oleg Abyshko, 2018. 496 p. (In Russian).
- Tychinskikh Z.A. Nekotoryye stranitsy ranney istorii sibirskikh tatar v trudakh tatarskikh istorikov Sh.Mardzhani i Kh.Atlasi [Some pages of the early history of the Siberian Tatars in the works of Tatar historians Sh. Marjani and H. Atlasi]. Shigabutdin Mardzhani: Naslediye i sovremennost’. Sbornik statey [Shigabutdin Marjani: Heritage and Modernity. Collected papers]. Kazan: Alma-Lit, 2008, pp. 153–159. (In Russian).
- Fuks K.F. Kratkaya istoriya goroda Kazani [A Brief history of the City of Kazan]. Available at: http://сувары.рф/ru/content/kratkaya-istoriya-goroda-kazani (last accessed 18.07.2018). (In Russian).
- Sheybaniada. Istoriya mongolo-tyurkov, izdannaya I. Berezinym [The Sheibaniade. History of the Mongol-Turks, Published by I. Berezin]. Kazan: Kazan State University Publ., 1849. 342 p. (In Russian).
- Shikhabuddin Mardzhani (1818–1889) [Shigabutdin Marjani (1818–1889)]. Available at: https://www.islamrf.org/marjani (last accessed 18.07.2018). (In Russian).
- Howorth Н.Н. History of the Mongols from the 9th to the 19th Century. Part II: The So-Called Tartars of Russia and Central Asia, Division II. London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1880. 478 p.
About the author: Denis N. Maslyuzhenko – Cand. Sci. (History), Associate Professor, Director of the Humanities Institute, Kurgan State University (63, building 4, Sovetskaya Str., Kurgan 640020, Russian Federation); ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8302-1277, ResearcherID: J-9551-2017. E-mail: email@example.com
Received July 7, 2019 Accepted for publication August 29, 2019
Published online September 29, 2019