2020, vol. 8, no. 2. Tulibayeva Zh.M.
2020, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 366-377
Suleyman Demirel University
Abstract: Research objectives: This article is devoted to the study of the materials of Khivan historical works, which describe the history of the Golden Horde.
Research materials: The author discusses the information of Khivan historiography and the opinions of court historians, along with their assessment of the events in Desht-i Kipchаk. The article focuses on the information from Khivan writings in which authors outline various versions of historical events that took place in the Chinggisid uluses. For example, information about the participation of Bаtu Khаn in a campaign of Ögedei Qаan in China, the conversion to Islam of Berke Khаn, the meeting of Jаnibeg Khаn with qаziy Muhi al-Din, etc. It should be noted that even though they outline the history of the Golden Horde in a concise manner, Khivan historians cited original information that is absent in other historical works.
Results and novelty of the research: The formation and development of Khivan historiography can be conditionally divided into several periods. Each period is associated with certain historical situations in the Khivan Khanate that existed during the creation and composition of historical works. The initial period of Khivan historiography was connected with the rule of representatives of the Shibаnid dynasty, its separate branch of the Arabshаhids (1511–1740), and the last period was connected with the rule of the Kungrаt dynasty (1804–1920).
Keywords: Khivan Khanate, Golden Horde, Khivan historiography, Qаrа Tavаrikh, Shajara-yi Turk va Mugul, Firdaus al-Iqbаl
For citation: Tulibayeva Zh.M. The History of the Golden Horde in Khivan Historiography. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2020, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 366–377. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2020-8-2.366-377
Notes: This article was prepared with the financial support of the Committee of Science of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the framework of the scientific project no. AP05132796 “The history of Kazakhs and Kazakhstan in Khivan written sources of the 16th – the beginning of the 20th centuries”.
- Abu al-Gаzi Bahаdur Khа Shadjara-yi turk. St. Peterburg, 1287/1871. 386 p. (InChaghatay)
- Abu al-Gаzi Khаn b. Arab Muhammad Khаn Chingizi Khwаrazmi. Shdjara-yi Turk va Mugul [The Family Tree of Turks and the Mongols]. The manuscript of the Al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies of AS RUz, no. 851. 194 fol. (In Chaghatay)
- Ahmedov B.A. Istoriko-geograficheskaya literatura Sredney Azii. XVI–XVIII vv. Pismennye pamyatniki [Historical and Geographical Literature of Central Asia. From the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries. Written Monuments]. Tahskent: Fan, 1985. 259 p. (In Russian)
- Kozin S.A. Sokrovennoe skazanie. Mongol’skaya khronika 1240 g. pod nazvaniem Monggol-un niguča tobčiyan. Yuan’ chao bi shi. Mongol’skiy obydennyy izbornik. T. I. Vvedenie v izuchenie pamyatnika, perevod, teksty, glossarii [The Secret History. The Mongolian Chronicle of 1240 Called Mongгol-un niгuča tobčiyan. Yuan chao bi shi, Vol. 1: Introduction to the Study of the Monument, Translation, Texts, Glossaries]. Barannikov A.P. (ed.). Moscow; Leningrad: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1941. 619 p. (In Russian, Mongolian)
- Kononov A.N. Rodoslovnaya turkmen. Sochinenie Abu-l-Gazi khana hivinskogo [Genealogy of the Turkmen. The Work of Abu-l-Gazi Khan of Khiva]. Moscow; Leningrad: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1958. (In Russian)
- Manаfi al-insаn [Useful (tools) for Person]. The manuscript of Al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies of AS RUz, no. 4107. (In Chaghatay)
- Materialy po istorii kazahskih hanstv v XV–XVIII vv. (izvlecheniya iz persidskih i tyurkskih sochineniy) [Materials on the History of the Kazakh Khanates from the fifteenth to the eighteenth centuries (extracts from Persian and Turkic works)]. Ibragimov S.K., Mingulov N.N., Pishhulina K.A., Judin V.P., and Suleymenov B.S. (eds). Alma-Ata: “Science”, 1969. 650 p. (In Russian)
- Materialy po istorii karakalpakov. Trudy Instituta vostokovedeniya [Materials on the History of Karakalpaks. Works of the Institute of Oriental Studies]. Moscow; Leningrad: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1935. 7. 299 p. (In Russian)
- Materialy po istorii turkmen i Turkmenii. Iranskie, buharskie i hivinskie istochniki XVI–XIX vv. [Materials on the History of the Turkmen and Turkmenia. Iranian, Bukharan, and Khivan Sources from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries]. Struve V.V., Borovkov A.K., Romaskevich A.A., and Ivanov P.P. (eds). Vol. 2. Moscow; Leningrad: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1938. 700 p. (In Russian)
- Mirgaleev I.M. “Kara tavarih” Utemisha-hadzhi. Spisok Rizajetdina Fahretdina [“Qara Tavarikh” by Ötemish Hajji. The copy of Rizaetdin Fahrendin]. Tyurkologicheskie issledovaniya [Turkological Researches]. 2018, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 58–72. (In Russian)
- Munis va Ogahiy. Firdavs ul-iqbol. Toskent: Yangi asr avlodi, 2010. 520 p. (InUzbek)
- Rashid al-Din. Sbornik letopisey [Compendium of Chronicles]. Vol. I. Book 1. Moscow; Leningrad: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1952. 222 p. (In Russian)
- Rodoslovnoe drevo tyurkov, khivinskogo khana Abul’-gazi [The Genealogy of Turks by Abu-l-Gazi Khan of Khiva]. Sablukov G.S. (tr.). Kazan, 1906. xvi + 224 p. (In Russian)
- Sayyid Hаmidjаn ture b. Sayyid Muhammad Khа Tavаrikh al-Khavаnin [History of the Khаns]. The manuscript of Al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies of AS Ruz, no. 7717, 217 f.
- Tizengauzen V.G. Sbornik materialov, otnosyashchikhsya k istorii Zolotoy Ordy, T. II: Izvlecheniya iz persidskikh sochineniy [Collection of Materials Relating to the History of the Golden Horde, Vol. 2: Extracts from the Persian Works]. Romaskevich A.A. and Volin S.L. (eds). Moscow: USSR Academy of Sciences, 1941. 307 p. (In Russian)
- Tulibayeva Zh.M. “Ulus-i arba-yi Chingizi” kak istochnik po izucheniyu istorii Zolotoy Ordy [“Ulus-i Arba-yi Chingizi” as a source for studying the history of the Golden Horde]. Zolotoordynskaya tsivilizatsiya=Golden Horde Civilization. Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2011, no. 4, pp. 79–100. (In Russian)
- Ötemish Hajji. Qara tavarikh. Mirgaleev I.M., Sayfetdinova E.G., and Khafizova Z.T. (eds and tr.). Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 312 p. (In Russian)
- Ötemish Hajji. Qara tavarikh. Facsimile. Mirgaliev I.M. and Sayfetdinova E.G. (eds). Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 160 p.
- Ötemish Hajji. Chingiz-name. Yudin V.P. (ed. and tr.). Alma-Ata: Gylym, 1992. 296 p. (In Russian)
- Horezm v istorii gosudarstvennosti Uzbekistana [Khwarazm in the History of Statehood of Uzbekistan]. Taskent: Uzbekiston fajlasuflari millij zhamijati, 2013. 332 p. (In Russian)
- Shajara-yi Tarаkima [Genealogy of the Turkmen]. The manuscript of Al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies of AS Ruz, no. 9985, 64 f.
- Shir Muhammad b. amir Avazbiy mirаb Munis. Firdaus al-ikbаl [Paradise Garden of Prosperity]. The manuscript of Al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies of AS RUz, no. 821/I, 259 f.
- Shir Muhammad Mirab Munis and Muhammad Riza Mirab Agahi. Firdaws al-iqbаl: History of Khorezm. Bregel Yu. (tr.). Leiden: Brill, 1999. lxxviii + 718 p.
- Shir Muḥammad Mirаb Munis and Muḥammad Riza Mirаb А Firdaws al-iqbаl: History of Khorezm. Bregel Yu. (ed.). Leiden: Brill, 1988. viii + 1281 p.
- Spuler B. Abu’l-Ghazi Bahаdur Khа Encyclopaedia of Islam. New Edition. Vol.I. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1986. xix + 1359 p.
About the author: Zhuldyz M. Tulibayeva – Dr. Sci. (History), Professor of Suleyman Demirel University (1/1, Abylai Khan Str., Kaskelen 040900, Kazakhstan). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received January 26, 2020 Accepted for publication June 2, 2020
Published Online June 29, 2020