2020, vol. 8, no. 3. Gabdrafikova L.R.
2020, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 613-623
Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences
Kazan, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objective: The purpose of this study is to analyze the image of Syuyumbike in the everyday culture of the Tatars of the early twentieth century.
Research materials: This article is based on the archive’s documents, materials of the periodical press at the beginning of the twentieth century, museum exhibits, as well as academic publications on the subject.
Results and novelty of the research: In the everyday culture of the early twentieth century, the name of artistic image and name of the queen, Suyumbike, were used in different variations. The Syuyumbike Tower in the Kazan Kremlin was very important for the Tatars, so Tatar entrepreneurs provided for its restoration. An analysis of the activities of Tatar merchants shows that at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Syuyumbike brand was formed. The idea of national progress was the driving force of the bourgeois transformations of this period, and the image of Syuyumbike became one of the main symbols of the new culture. The interest in the historical figure of Syuyumbike in that era and the active use of her image in various spheres of life indicate the growth of the Tatar national identity, the idea of statehood, female emancipation, and the modernization of Tatars’ everyday life.
The scholarly novelty of the article is that the image of Syuyumbike is first subjected to a comprehensive analysis for the first time and is considered in the context of the Tatar bourgeois culture of the early twentieth century and its everyday practices.
Keywords: modernization of Tatar culture, Syuyumbike Tower, Kazan Kremlin, Tatar entrepreneurship, everyday history
For citation: Gabdrafikova L.R. The Image of Suyumbike in the Tatar Culture of the early twentieth century. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2020, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 613–623. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2020-8-3.613-623
- Abubakirova M., Shamsutdinov I., and Hasanzhanova R. Istoriyu ostavit’ narodu svoemu [Leave a History to the People]. Troitsk, 2002. 176 p. (In Russian)
- Amirkhanov R. Tatarskiy narod i Tatarstan v nachale XX veka [Tatar People and Tatarstan at the beginning of the twentieth century]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 2005. 150 p. (In Russian)
- Akhmerov G. Izbrannye trudy [Selected Works]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1998. 237 p. (In Russian)
- Gabdrafikova L.R. Tatarskoe burzhuaznoe obshchestvo: stil’ zhizni v epohu peremen (vtoraya polovina XIX – nachalo XX veka) [Tatar Bourgeois Society in an Era of Change (second half of the nineteenth and beginning of twentieth centuries)]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 2015. 367 p. (In Russian)
- Istoriya Kazani v dokumentakh i materialakh. XX vek [History of Kazan in Documents and Materials. The twentieth century]. Amirhanov R.U. (ed.). Kazan: Magarif Publ., 2004. 711 p. (In Russian)
- Istoriya Kazani [History of Kazan]. Book 2. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1991. 382 p. (In Russian)
- Kazanskaya tsarica Syuyun-bike v istorii narodov Rossii: sb. statey [Kazan Queen Syun-bike in the History of the Peoples of Russia. Collected Papers]. Rakhimzyanov B.R. (ed.). Moscow: “Quadriga”, 2015. 160 p. (In Russian)
- Larionov S.S. Nachal’noe obrazovanie inorodtsev Kazanskogo i Ufimskogo kraya [Primary Education of Foreigners of the Kazan and Ufa Territories]. Petrograd: P.P. Saykin Publ., 1916. 161 p. (In Russian)
- Mərjani Sh. Mөstəfadel-əhbar fi əhvali Kazan və Bolgar [Sources on the History of Kazan and Bulgar]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1989. 414 p. (In Tatar)
- Mukhammedshin G. Sem’ stupeney bashni Syuyumbike. Istoriko-publicisticheskiy ocherk o drevneyshem arkhitekturnom pamyatnike na territorii Kazanskogo Kremlya (XVI–XX vv.) [Seven Steps of the Syuyumbike Tower. Historical and Journalistic Essay on an Ancient Architectural Monument on the Territory of the Kazan Kremlin (from the sixteenth to twentieth centuries)]. Kazan: “House of the press”, 2002. 188 p. (In Russian)
- Nazipova G.R. Kazanskiy gorodskoy muzey: ocherki istorii 1895–1917 godov [Kazan City Museum. History Essays: 1895–1917]. Kazan: “Kazan”, 2000. 271 p. (In Russian)
- Rəmieva I.R. Rus, tatar һəm tөrek ədəbiyatlarynda khanbikə Sөembikə obrazy [The Image of Queen Syuyumbike in Russian, Tatar, and Turkish Literature]. Kazan, 2009. 244 p. (In Tatar)
- Tatar khalyk ijaty. Bəetlər [Tatar Folk Art. The Bait]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 1983. 350 p. (In Tatar)
- Khannanova-Galimjanova E. Fazyl Tujkinnyң tormysh yuly һəm ijadi eshchənlege [Biography and work of Fazyl Tuykin]. Bertugan Tuykinnar: tarikhi-dokumental’ jyentyk [Tuikin Brothers. Historical and Documentary Collection]. Kazan: Rukhiyat, Djien Publ., 2007, pp. 16–42. (In Tatar)
- Khuzin F. Srednevekovaya Kazan [Kazan in the Middle Ages]. Kazan: Tatar book publishing house, 2004. 76 p. (In Russian)
- Chelovek v revolyutsii. Kazanskaya guberniya. Kul’tura [Man in the Revolution. Kazan Province. Culture]. Gabdrafikova L.R. (ed.). Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2019. 368 p. (In Russian)
About the author: Liliya R. Gabdrafikova – Dr. Sci. (History), Chief Research Fellow of the Department of Historical and Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Tatarstan Peoples, Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (7A, Baturin Str., 7А, Kazan 420111, Russian Federation); ORCID: 0000-0002-9940-9097. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received March 18, 2020 Accepted for publication August 26, 2020
Published Online September 29, 2020