2020, vol. 8, no. 3. Timokhin D.M., Tishin V.V.
2020, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 437-456
D.M. Timokhin 1, V.V. Tishin 2
1 Institute of Oriental Studies of the RAS
Moscow, Russian Federation
2 Institute for Mongolian, Buddhist and Tibetan Studies
of the Siberian Branch of the RAS
Ulan-Ude, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objectives: Published in 2018, an article by Prof. V.A. Ivanov pointed to a pressing problem regarding the possibility to correlate information provided in written sources with archaeological data, discussing it in the context of issues of localization of nomadic tribal groups in the Desht-i Kipchak in the period preceding the Mongol conquest. The authors of the present article are in agreement with V.A. Ivanov in recognizing this problem. However, they cannot agree with his manner of its presentation. A study of ethnic processes in the Eurasian steppes seems more complex than is presented in V.A. Ivanov’s view. In addition, it seems to the authors that Ivanov’s reproaches to researchers working with written sources are not entirely fair and correct.
Research materials: The authors submitted for discussion some of the more significant and indicative issues, in their view, related to the broad problem of identification of nomadic tribal groups of the Desht-i Kipchak. Therefore, they had to resort to both written sources and the body of research works. The foundation of the written sources used here is represented, first of all, by Arabic-Persian historical works. In addition, the data of linguistics and archaeology was also involved in the paper.
Results and novelty of the research: Pointing to several of the most illustrative issues in the ethnic history of the Desht-i Kipchak, the authors sought to demonstrate the real lack of unambiguous solutions based on data in written sources. Often real historical problems are dependent on subjective interpretation of texts provided by scholars. At the same time, their results are influenced by a combination of factors – such as the degree of informativeness of written sources as well as the approaches and personal capacities of the researcher. Moreover, the authors of this article express doubts that archaeologists have sufficient material on the history of the Eastern Desht-i Kipchak. Therefore, the question of the possibility of correlating this archaeological material with written sources is premature.
Keywords: written sources, archaeological materials, nomads, Desht-i Kipchak, Kipchaks, ethnic history, historiography
For citation: Timokhin D.M., Tishin V.V. Ethnо-tribal Composition of Desht-i Kipchak as an Object of Discussion (on V.A. Ivanov’s article “Nomads of the Golden Horde in the Perception of Modern Historians”). Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2020, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 437–456. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2020-8-3.437-456
Acknowledgments: D.M. Timokhin’s work was carried out within the framework of State Assignment 0179/2019-0004 “Patterns of the historical development of the peoples of the East from ancient times to the mid-twentieth century”. V.V. Tishin’s work was supported by the Comprehensive Program of Fundamental Research of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences XII.191.1.2. Intercultural interaction, ethnic and socio-political processes in Central Asia, No. АААА-А17-117021310264-4.
- Agadzhanov S.G. Ocherki istorii oguzov i turkmen Sredney Azii IX–XIII vv. [Essays of the History of the Oghuz and Turkmens from the ninth to thirteenth centuries]. Ashkhabad: Ylym, 1969. 296 p. (In Russian)
- Akhinzhanov S.M. Kypchaki v istorii srednevekovogo Kazakhstana [Kipchaks in the History of Medieval Kazakhastan]. Almaty: Gylym, 1995. 296 p. (In Russian)
- Ivanov V.A. Kochevniki Zolotoy Ordy v vospriyatii sovremennykh istorikov [Nomads of the Golden Horde in the perception of modern historians]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 618–634. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-3.618-634 (In Russian)
- Kradin N.N. Mongol’skaya imperiya v sovremennoy zapadnoy istoriografii [The Mongol Empire in the modern historiography]. Istoriia Nebesnoi imperii, Tom 1. Istoriya pervykh pyati khanov iz doma Chingisova [History of the Heaven Empire, Vol. 1: History of the First Khans of the Chinggis’s Dinasty]. Larichev V.E. (ed.), Tyuryumia L.V., Kamensky P.I. (trans.). Novosibirsk: Institute of Automation and Electrometry of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2011, pp. 201–218. (In Russian)
- An-Nasavi Shikhab ad-Din Mukhammad. Zhizneopisanie sultana Dzhalal ad-Dina Mankburny [The Life of Sultan Jalal al-Din Mankburny]. Buniyatov Z.M. (trans.). Baku: Elm, 1973. 450 p. (In Russian)
- Pilipchuk Ya. Sotsіal’na іstorіya kipchakіv u IX–XIII st. [A Social History of Kipchaks from the ninth to thirteenth centuries]. Kiyv, Vіnnitsia: M.P. Dragomanov National Pedagogical University, 2018. 340,  p. (In Ukrainian)
- Porsin A.A. Istoriya Zolotoy Ordy kontsa XIII – nachala XIV veka v trude Rukn ad-Dina Beibarsa al-Mansuri “Zubdat al-Fikra” [History of the Golden Horde of the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries in the work of Rukn ad-Din Beybars al-Mansuri “Zubdat al-fikra”]. Kazan: Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2018. 276 p. (In Russian)
- Rogozhinsky A.E. Tamgi-petroglify srednevekovykh kochevnikov Kazakhstana: itogi noveishikh issledovaniy i perspektivy dal’neyshego izucheniya [Tamgha-petroglyphs of medieval nomads of Kazakhstan: Results of recent researches and perspectives of future studies]. Sbornik materialov mezhdunarodnogo nauchno-prakticheskogo seminara “Istoriko-kul’turnoe nasledie i sovremennaya kul’tura” (30 noyabrya 2012 g. Almaty, 2012) [Proceedings of the International Seminar “Historic Cultural Heritage and Modern Culture” (November 30, 2012, Almaty)]. Telebaev G.T., Mukhamedzhanova N.S., and Rogozhinsky A.E. (eds). Almaty: Service Press, 2012, pp. 91–104. (In Russian)
- Rogozhinsky A.E. Problemy izucheniya udostoveritel’nykh znakov srednevekovykh kochevnikov Kazakhstana [Problems of studying the certifying signs of medieval nomads of Kazakhstan]. Izvestiya Natsional’noy akademii nauk Respubliki Kazakhstan [News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Social Sciences and Humanities Series)]. 2013, no. 3, pp. 226–240. (In Russian)
- Rogozhinsky A.E. Znaki sobstvennosti i vlasti drevnikh i srednevekovykh obitateley kazakhskoy stepi [Signs of ownership and power of ancient and Medieval inhabitants of Kazakh steppe]. Arkheologicheskoe nasledie Sibiri i Tsentral’noi Azii (problemy interpretatsii i sokhraneniia): mat-ly mezhdunar. konf. [Archaeological Heritage of Siberia and Central Asia: Proceedings of International Conference]. Bobrov V.V. (ed.). Kemerovo: Kuzbassvuzizdat, 2016, pp. 53–63. (In Russian)
- Rona-Tas A. Khazary i mad’yary [The Khazars and Magyars]. Khazary [The Khazars]. Petrukhin V.V., Moskovich V., Fedorchuk A., Kulik A., and Shapira D. (eds). Jerusalem: “Gesharim”; Moscow: “Bridges of culture”, 2005, pp. 111–124. (In Russian)
- Sanzheev G.D. Akademik Lajos Ligeti i razvitie altaistiki v Vengrii [Academician Lajos Ligeti and development of Altaic studies in Hungary]. Narody Azii i Afriki [Peoples of Asia and Africa]. 1962, no. 5, pp. 155–158. (In Russian)
- Timokhin D.M., Tishin V.V. K voprosu o lokalizatsii “srazheniya na Turgayskoy ravnine” mezhdu armiey Khorezma i mongol’skim korpusom Dzhuchi-khana [On the problem of localization of the battle between Khwarazmian troops and Mongol army of Jochi Khan]. XIII Faizkhanovskie chteniya. Nasledie Zolotoy Ordy v Gosudarstvennosti i kul’turnykh traditsiyakh narodov Evrazii: materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii. Sankt-Peterburg, 4–6 maya 2016 g. [The Thirteenth Faizkhanov Readings: The Heritage of the Golden Horde in the Nationhood and Cultural Traditions of the Peoples of Eurasia. Proceedings of International Research Conference (St. Petersburg, May 4–6, 2016)]. Mukhetdinov D.V., Zaitsev I.V., Tishin V.V., Khabutdinov A.Yu., Khayretdinov D.Z., and Iuzeev A.N. (eds). Moscow: “Medina”, 2017, pp. 516–533. (In Russian)
- Timokhin D.M., Tishin V.V. [Review on] Pilipchuk Ia.V., Sabitov Zh.M. Ocherki etnopoliticheskoy istorii kypchakov [Essays on Ethnic and Political History of Kipchaks]. Astana, Gylym, 2015. 248 s. Vostok (Oriens). 2017, no. 6, pp. 210–218. (In Russian)
- Timokhin D. M., Tishin V.V. Ocherki istorii Khorezma i vostochnogo Desht-i Kypchaka v XI – nachale XIII v. [Essays of the History of Khwarazm and the Desht-i Kipchak from the eleventh to early thirteenth century]. Moscow: Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2018. 380 p. (In Russian)
- Timokhin D.M., Tishin V.V. Proiskhozhdenie Terken-khatun, materi khorezmshakha Ala ad-Dina Mukhammada: k probleme sootnosheniya etnonimov v vostochnom Desht-i Kypchake v XII – nachale XIII vv. v istoricheskikh istochnikakh [An origin of Terken Khatun, mother of Khwarazmshah Ala al-Din Muhammad: Toward the problem of correlation between ethnonyms in the Eastern Desht-i Kipchak in the early thirteenth century in historical sources]. Materialy II-i nauchnoy konferentsii srednevekovoy istorii Desht-i Kypchaka [Proceeding of the Second Research Conference of Medieval History of the Desht-i Kipchak]. Pavlodar: TOO NPF “EKO”, 2018, pp. 83–103. (In Russian)
- Khazanov A.M. Kochevniki i vneshniy mir [Nomads and Outside World]. 3rd Almaty: Daik-Press, 2002. 604 p. (In Russian)
- Biran В. The Empire of the Qara Khitai in Eurasian History: Between China and the Islamic World. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2005. 298 p.
- Golden P.B. Cumanica II: The Ölberli (Ölperli): The fortunes and misfortunes of an Inner Asian nomadic clan. Archivum Eurasiae Medii Aevi. 1986 , vol. 6, pp. 5–29.
- Golden P.B. Cumanica IV: The Cumano-Qıpčaq clans and tribes. Archivum Eurasiae Medii Aevi. 1995–1997, vol. 9, pp. 99–122.
- Histoire des campagnes de Gengis Khan, Chêng-wou ts’in-tchêng lou. Vol. 1. Pelliot P., Hambis L. (tr.). Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1951. xxvii + 485 p. (In French)
- Ligeti L. Az Akadémia könyvtára és az orientalisztika [Library of the Academy and Oriental Studies]. Magyar Könyvszemle [Hungarian Book Review]. 1977, vol. 93, pt. 1, no. 1, pp. 3–130. (In Hungarian)
- Marquart J. Über das Volkstum der Komanen. In: Bang W., Marquart J. Ostturkische Dialektstudien. Berlin: Weidmannsche Buchhandlung, 1914, pp. 25–238. (In German)
- Németh Gy. A honfoglaló Magyarság kialakulása [Formation of the Hungarians during the Conquest Period]. 2nd Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó, 1991. 397 p. [In Hungarian]
- Sinor D. Reflections on the history and historiography of the Nomad Empires of Central Eurasia. Acta Orientalia Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae, Vol. 58(1): Proceedings of the First International Conference on the Mediaeval History of the Eurasian Steppe: Szeged, Hungary May 11–16, 2004. Part I. 2005, pp. 3–14.
- Sümer F. Oğuzlar (Türkmenler): Tarihleri, Boy Teşkilâtı, Destanları [Oghuzs (Turkmens): A History, Tribal Organization, Folklore]. 2nd Ankara: Ankara University Press, 1972. xv + 532 p. (In Turkish)
- Vámbéry H. Das Türkenvolk in seinen Ethnologischen und Ethnographischen Beziehungen. Leipzig: F.A. Brockhaus, 1885. xii + 638 p. (In German)
About the authors: Dmitry M. Timokhin – Cand. Sci (History), Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (12, Rozhdestvenka Str., Moscow 107031, Russian Federation). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vladimir V. Tishin – Cand. Sci (History), Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Mongolian, Buddhist and Tibetan Studies of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (6, Sakhyanova Str., Ulan-Ude 670047, Russian Federation). E-mail: email@example.com
Received April 22, 2020 Accepted for publication August 14, 2020
Published Online September 29, 2020