2021, vol. 9, no. 2. Adygamov R.K.
2021, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 336-350
R.K. Adygamov 1, 2
1 Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences
Kazan, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objectives: The “Mustafad al-akhbar…” is one of the earliest and most important works on the history of the Bulgars and their descendants – the Tatars. After evaluating this source, we can rightly say that it is the first attempt at a scholarly description and analysis of the history of the Bulgars and Tatars. To achieve this purpose, Sh. Marjani used a large array of different sources, among which a special place was occupied by theological sources. In revealing religious life, the theologian used mainly written sources, but he did not limit himself to quoting them. The presentation of these texts is accompanied by Sh. Marjnani’s analysis of the information’s reliability. The author compares the facts and makes reasonable conclusions about the biographies of theologians, as well as the content of their works.
The purpose of the study is to identify the authors’ names and the titles of their theological works that Sh. Marjani used in the first volume of the mentioned work.
Research materials: The source basis of the study was the first volume of the “Mustafad al-akhbar…” by Sh. Marjani, as well as reference works by Muslim biographers. Throughout the study, the author used the methods of analysis and synthesis, as well as the historical and comparative method.
Research results: This study established the titles of the theological treatises to which Sh. Marjani referred in the first volume of the “Mustafad al-akhbar…”, their content, the names of their authors, and years of their deaths. The study of the personalities of theologians and their works has allowed for a division of them into respective Bulgar and Golden Horde periods. However, it should be noted that Sh. Marjani partly goes beyond these periods and mentions some theologians who lived after the conquest of the Kazan Khanate in 1552.
Research novelty: The author described, for the first time ever, the titles and topics of theological works mentioned in the first volume of the “Mustafad al-akhbar…”. Also, he identified the names of their authors and divided the works according to a historical principle into the works of the Bulgar and Golden Horde periods.
Keywords: Sh. Marjani, Mustafad al-Akhbar, history of theology among Tatars, history of the Bulgars, history of Tatars, theological sources, theologians
For citation: Adygamov R.K. The Bulgar and Golden Horde’s Theologians and Theological Sources through the Prism of Sh. Marjani’s “Mustafad al-akhbar…”. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2021, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 336–350. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2021-9-2.336-350
- Adygamov R.K. Istochnikovaya baza pervogo toma “Mustafad al-akhbar fi akhvali Kazan va Bulgar” Sh. Mardzhani [Marjani’s sources for the first volume of his “Mustafad al’-akhbar fi Ahwali Qazan wa Bulgar”]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie =
GoldenHorde Review. 2019, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 674–686. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2019-7-4.674-686 (In Russian)
- al-Jami A. Nafahat al-uns min hadarat al-kuds [The Separation of Intimate Conversation from the Presence of Holiness]. Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-‘ilmija, 2003, vol. 2. 845 p. (In Arabic)
- Ahmadullin S.Z. “Talfik al-ahbar…” (“Svod svedenij…”) Murada Ramzi kak istochnik po istorii bashkir. Dissertaciya na soiskanie uchenoj stepeni kandidata istoricheskih nauk [The “Talfiq al-Akhbar…” (“Summary of Information…”) of Murad Ramzi as a Source for the History of Bashkirs. PhD Thesis]. Moscow, 2018. 68 p. (In Russian)
- Gosmanov M.A. Shiһabetdin Marjani һam tarihi chyganaklarny ojranu jyentygy [Shihabutdin Marjani and the study of historical sources]. Marjani: tarih һam hazerge zaman. Makalalar [Marjani: History and Modernity]. Kazan: Master Line, 1998. 17 p. (In Tatar)
- Marjani Sh. Mustafad al-ahbar fi ahvali Kazan va Bulgar [The Book of Useful Information on the History of Kazan and Bolgar]. Kazan, 1900, vol. 1. 264 p. (In Tatar)
- Mirgaleev I.M. Sh. Mәrjaninen Altyn Urda tarihyna karashy [Views of Sh. Marjani on the History of the Golden Horde]. Shihabutdin Mardzhani: nasledie i sovremennost’ [Shigabutdin Marjani: Heritage and Modernity]. Kazan: Alma-Lit, 2008, pp. 102–109. (In Tatar)
- Mirgaleev I.M. Shiһabetdin Marjani mirasynnan [From the heritage of Sh. Marjani]. Ekho vekov – Gasyrlar avazy [Echo of Centuries]. 2008, no. 1, pp. 179–195. (In Tatar)
- Mirgaleev I.M., Abyzova R.R. Shikhabetdin Mardzhani o Zolotoy Orde [Shihabutdin Marjani on the Golden Horde]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2018, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 181–198. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2018-6-1.181-198 (In Russian)
- Ramzi M. Talfik al-ahbar fi vakai‘ Kazan va Bulgar va muluk at-tatar [Summary of the Events of Kazan, Bulgar, and Tatar Rulers]. Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-‘ilmija, 2002. 736 p. (In Turkish)
- 10 Chelyabi M. Kashf az-zunun ‘an asami al-kutub va al-funun [Removing the Doubts about the Names of Books and Sciences]. Beirut, 1971, vol. 1. 488 p. (In Turkish)
- Chelyabi M. Kashf az-zunun ‘an asami al-kutub va al-funun [Removing the Doubts about the Names of Books and Sciences]. Stambul: Maarif, 1941, vol. 1. 940 p. (In Turkish)
- Sharafutdinov D. Saksin – drevniy bulgarskiy gorod [Saksin: Ancient Bulgar City]. 05.11.2015. Available at: https://posredi.ru/saksin-drevnij-bulgarskij-gorod.html (accessed 15.03.2020).
- Yuzmukhametov R.T. Struktura teksta i yazykovye osobennosti “Kitabe Mustafad al’-ahbar fi ahvali Kazan va Bulgar” (“Kniga ispol’zovannyh svedenij po istorii Kazani i Bulgara”) Shigabutdina Mardzhani. Dissertaciya na soiskanie uchenoj stepeni kandidata filologicheskih nauk [The Text Structure and Language Features of the “Kitabe Mustafad al-akhbar fi ahvali Kazan va Bulgar” (“Book of Useful Information on the History of Kazan and Bulgar”) of Shigabutdin Marjani. PhD Thesis]. Kazan, 2002. 204 p. (In Russian)
About the author: Ramil K. Adygamov – Cand. Sci. (History), Senior Researcher of the Department of History of Religions and Public Thought of the Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (7A, Baturin Str., Kazan 420111, Russian Federation); ORCID: 0000-0002-0448-0107. E-mail: email@example.com
Received March 4, 2021 Accepted for publication May 12, 2021
Published Online June 29, 2021