2017. Vol. 5, no. 3. Pochekaev R.Yu.
2017. Vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 659-665
National Research University Higher School of Economics
St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
This review contains an assessment of Ilyas Kh. Kamalov’s book on the relationship between the Jochid ulus and Russian principalities, as well as the subsequent influence of the Golden Horde’s civilization on the development of the Russian state. The book is analyzed within the context of the present state of research on the Golden Horde and its relations with Rus’. This inevitably leads to a comparison of the level of scientific value of the reviewed book with other contemporary publications on the history of the Jochid ulus. The review evaluates the structure of the book, the thoroughness of the analysis, highlights its strengths and weaknesses, and draws attention to a number of controversial elements.
The author of review finds that the book of I.Kh. Kamalov, despite several drawbacks, could likely attract the interest of various reading audiences and stimulate further research and discussions on the history of the Golden Horde and its relations with the Russian principalities.
Keywords: Jochid ulus, Golden Horde, Rus’, Russian principalities, Russia, Tatar influence on Rus’
For citation: Pochekaev R.Yu. The Golden Horde and Rus’: A Turkish View. Review of the Book: Kamalov I.H. The Golden Horde and the Russian Ulus (the Tatar Influence on Russia). Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2017. Vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 659–665. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2017-5-3.659-665
- Eremyan V.V. Ordynskaya Rus’ (ot obshchiny-gosudarstva k udelu-votchine): ocherki munitsipal’noy istoriografii [The Rus’ of the Horde (from community-state to appanage-patrimony): Essays on municipal history]. Vol. 3. Moscow, Russian University of Peoples’ Friendship Press, 2015. 396 p. (In Russian)
- Zaytsev I.V. İlyas Kamalov. Altın Orda ve Rusya (Rusya Üzerindeki Türk-Tatar Etkisi) [Review of: Kamalov I.]. Istoricheskiy vestnik [Historical Herald], Vol. 10 (157), 2014, pp. 128–133. (In Russian).
- Zolotoe skazanie / Per. G.S. Gorokhovoy, A.D. Tsendinoy [G.S. Gorokhova, A.d. Tsendina (transl.). The Golden Summary] Istoriya v trudakh uchenykh [History in works of Learned Lamas]. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press, 2005, pp. 19–61. (In Russian)
- Maslova S.A. Instituty ordynskoy vlasti nad Rus’yu (baskaki, darugi, posly) [Institutions of the Golden Horde power over Rus’ (basqaqs, darugas, ambassadors]: Dissertation of candidate (Ph.D.) in history. Moscow State University Publ., 2015. 154 p. (In Russian)
- Markevich A.I. Istoriya mestnichestva v Moskovskom gosudarstve v XV–XVII veke [History of mestnichestvo in Moscow state in the 15th–17th century]. Odessa, Odessa Herald Press, 1888. X + 611 + CXLIII p. (In Russian)
- Kamalov I. Altin Orda ve Rusya (Rusya Üzerindeki Türk-Tatar Etkisi) [The Golden Horde and Russia]. Istanbul, Ötüken, 2009. 376 p. (In Turkish)
- Kamalov I.Kh. Zolotaya Orda i russkiy ulus (tatarskoe vliyanie na Rossiyu) [The Golden Horde and the Russian Ulus (the Tatar Influence on Russia)]. Perevod s turets. yaz. I.M. Mirgaleev; otv. red. A.V. Aksanov. Kazan, Marjani Institute of History of Tatarstan Academy of Sciences Publ., 2016. 304 p. (In Russian)
About the author: Roman Yu. Pochekaev – Cand. Sci. (Jurisprudence), Docent, Professor, Head of the Department of theory and history of law and state, National Research University Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg, ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4192-3528 (17, Promyshlennaya Str., St. Petersburg 198099, Russian Federation).
Received June 8, 2017 Accepted for publication September 7, 2017
Published online September 30, 2017