2017. Vol. 5, no. 4. Gabdrafikov I.M.
2017. Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 921-926
Institute of Ethnological Studies of R.G. Kuzeev,
Ufa Scientific Сenter, Russian Academy of Sciences
Ufa, Russian Federation
Objective: To provide a description of Starokalmashevo hillfort and the Starokalmashevo gravestone with an Arabic epitaph found in the mid-20th century in close proximity to the site of ancient settlement. They are here described not only as monuments of the Middle Ages, but also as objects of historical heritage testifying to the continuous process of ethno-culturogenesis in the Western Cis-Urals up to modern times.
Research materials: The author considers the issues of medieval history, ethno- and cultural genesis of the Western Cis-Urals in light of the example of the Starokalmashevo hillfort, located on the hill of Kala-tau (Chekmagushevsky district of the Republic of Bashkortostan), as well as the Starokalmashevo gravestone. The author provides a complex description of these archaeological and cultural monuments and points out the importance of preserving these objects as an integral part of the local population and the entire Volga-Ural region’s collective historical memory.
Research novelty: The author presents new materials, including the stories of community elders about the origin of the above-mentioned archaeological sites. He analyzes the inscriptions on the tombstone, including its new reading, and draws a conclusion about the continuity of the population of this territory for a sustained period.
Keywords: Golden Horde, Tatars, archaeology, Bashkortostan, epigraphy, inscription, Islam
For citation: Gabdrafikov I.M. Kala-tau Hill as a Medieval Monument of Archaeology and Epigraphy in the Western Urals. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2017. Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 921–926. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2017-5-4.921-926
- Ahunov M.G. Iske Kalmash avyly tarihy [The History of the Village of Old Kalmashevo]. Ufa, 2014. 264 p. (In Tatar)
- Vahrushev G.V. Pamjatniki prirody, stariny i iskusstva Bashkirii [Monuments of Nature, Antiquity and Art of Bashkortostan]. Bashkirskij kraevedcheskij sbornik [Collection of Papers on the Bashkir Local History]. Ufa, 1926, no. 1, pp. 40–51. (In Russian)
- Ishberdin Je.F. Kamen’ s «zagadochnymi» znakami [A Stone with “Mysterious” Signs]. Sovetskaja tjurkologija=Soviet Turkology. Moscow, 1980, no. 2, pp. 64–67. (In Russian)
- Kuzeev R.G., Pshenichnjuk A.H., Bikbulatov N.V. Muzej arheologii i jetnografii Bashkirskogo filiala AN SSSR [Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography of the Bashkir Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences]. Sovetskaja jetnografija=Soviet Ethnography. Moscow, 1984, no. 3, pp. 75–82. (In Russian)
- Mirgaleev I.M. Starokalmashevskaya nadmogil’naya plita i voprosy etnicheskoy interpretatsii naseleniya Priural’ya v srednie veka [Gravestone of Staro-Kalmashevo Village and Issues of Ethnic Integration of Cis-Uralic Population in the Middle Ages]. Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes. 2017, no. 6, pp. 176–180. (In Russian)
- Talickaja I.A. Materialy k arheologicheskoj karte bassejna r. Kamy [Materials for the Archaeological Map of the Basin of the Kama River]. Materialy i issledovanija po arheologii SSSR=Materials and Researches on Archaeology of the USSR. No. 27. Moscow, 1952, 225 p. (In Russian)
- Jusupov G.V. Dve nadgrobnye nadpisi s drevnego bashkirskogo kladbishha [Two Funerary Inscriptions from the Ancient Bashkir Cemetery]. Voprosy bashkirskoj filologii = Questions of Bashkir Philology. Moscow, 1959, pp. 120–121. (In Russian)
About the author: Ildar M. Gabdrafikov – Cand. Sci. (History), Senior Researcher, Institute of Ethnological Studies of R.G. Kuzeev, Ufa Scientific Сenter, Russian Academy of Sciences (6, K. Marx Str., Ufa 450077, Russian Federation). E-mail: email@example.com
Received September 04, 2017 Accepted for publication November 28, 2017
Published online December 29, 2017