2020, vol. 8, no. 2. Vinogradov A.V.
2020, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 293-315
Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract: Research objectives: This article investigates the alignment of forces in political elite of the Crimean Khanate in 1613–1616.
Research materials: A wide range of published and archived sources – books and ambassadorial documents of the Russian state.
Results and novelty of the research: The author discusses the little-studied period of diplomatic relations between the Russian state and the Crimean Khanate in 1613–1616, after the accession of Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov: the stay of the embassy of A. Lodyzhensky and P. Danilov in Crimea from autumn 1613 to July 1614, the preparations and implementation of an embassy congress and exchange near Livny in August 1614, the stay of the embassy of Prince G.K. Volkonsky and P. Ovdokimov in the Crimea from August 1614 to June 1615, the preparation and implementation of the embassy exchange near Valuyki in July 1615, and the stay of the embassy of I. Speshnev and B. Nesterov in Crimea from July 1615 to May 1616. The author shows the central role of the political elite of the Crimean Khanate, meaning the most influential people in the government of Janibek Giray Khan, in establishing peaceful relations between the Russian state and the Crimean Khanate in the framework of their parallel military-political confrontation with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The article also discusses the role of individual clans of the Crimean nobility in the implementation of diplomatic relations between the two states.
Keywords: Crimean Khanate, Janibek Giray Khan, ambassador Prince Grigory Konstantinovich Volkonsky, ambassador Isaak Speshnev, bek Ahmed-pasha Jashlavsky – “Prince Suleshev”, Ibragim-murza Jashlavsky, Mussabek-aga, bek Bogatyr Giray “Diveev”, Urak-murza – Prince Petr Araslanovich Urusov, Zurbek-murza – Prince Alexander Araslanovich Urusov
For citation: Vinogradov A.V. Structure of Political Elite of the Crimean Khanate according to the Materials of Reports of Russian Embassies in Crimea in 1613–1616. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2020, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 293–315. DOI: 10.22378/2313-6197.2020-8-2.293-315
- Akty vremeni Lzhedmitriya I (1603–1606 gg.) [Acts of the False Dmitry I’s time (1603–1606)]. Smutnoe vremya Moskovskogo gosudarstva (1604–1613 gg.). Materialy izdannye Imperatorskim Obshchestvom istorii i drevnestey rossiyskikh pri Moskovskom Universitete [The Time of Troubles of the Muscovite State (1604–1613). Materials Published by the Imperial Society of Russian History and Antiquities at Moscow University]. Moscow, 1918. 328 p. (In Russian)
- Belyakov A.V. Krymskie vykhodtsy v Rossii: sluzhba i pravovoy status [Crimean natives in Russia: service and legal status]. Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2016, no. 1, pp. 137–157. (In Russian)
- Vinogradov A.V. Rod Sulesha vo vneshney politike Krymskogo khanstva vtoroy poloviny XVI v. [The Sulesh’s kin in the foreign policy of the Crimean Khanate of the second half of the sixteenth century]. Tyurkologicheskiy sbornik: 2005: Tyurkskie narody Rossii i Velikoy stepi [Studia Turkologica, 2005: Turkic Peoples of Russia and the Great Steppe]. Moscow: Oriental literature, 2007, pp. 26–73. (In Russian)
- Vinogradov A.V. Sostav politicheskoy elity Krymskogo khanstva v 1560-kh – 1590-kh gg. po materialam russkoy i pol’sko-litovskoy posol’skoy dokumentatsii [Composition of the political elite of the Crimean Khanate in the 1560s–90s according to the materials of Russian and Polish-Lithuanian embassy documentation]. Vostok=Oriens. 2016, no. 5, pp. 25–41. (In Russian)
- Vinogradov A.V. Posol’stvo knyazya Grigoriya Konstantinovicha Volkonskogo v Krym 1614–1615 gg. [Embrassy of Prince Grigory Konstantinovich Volkonsky to Crimea in 1614–1615]. Vestnik Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, Seriya 4: Istoriya, regionovedenie, mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [Bulletin of Volgograd State University, Series 4: History, Regional Studies, International Relations]. 2019, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 158–174. (In Russian)
- Vinogradov A.V. Russko-krymskiy posol’skiy s”ezd pod Livnami osen’yu 1593 goda [Russian-Crimean ambassadorial congress near Livny in the autumn of 1593] Srednevekovye tyurko-tatarskie gosudarstva [Medieval Turko-Tatar states]. 2015, no. 7, pp. 62–77. (In Russian)
- Dvortsovye razryady: v 5 t., T. 1: 1612–1628 [The Court Razriady in Five Volumes, Vol. 1: 1612–1628]. St. Petersburg: Printing house of the Second Branch of His Imperial Majesty’s Own Office, 1850. xxxvi p. + 1234 col. (In Russian)
- Zaytsev I.V. Politicheskaya istoriya Krymskogo khanstva v XVI–XVII vv. [Political history of the Crimean Khanate in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries]. Istoriya Kryma [The History of Crimea]. Vol. 1. Moscow: Foundation “Communication between the eras”, 2017, pp. 392–405. (In Russian)
- Zaytsev I.V. Sud’ba aristokrata. Ak-Mukhammed-oglan i ego syn Fedor [Destiny of a nobleman: Aq-Muhammed-oglan and his son Fedor] Zolotoordynskoe obozrenie=Golden Horde Review. 2013, no. 2, pp. 146–156. (In Russian)
- Lashkov F.F. Pamyatniki diplomaticheskikh snosheniy Krymskogo khanstva s Moskovskim gosudarstvom v XVI–XVII vv., khranyashchiesya v Moskovskom Glavnom Arkhive Ministerstva Inostrannykh del [Monuments of diplomatic relations of the Crimean Khanate with the Moscow State in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries stored in the Moscow Main Archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy uchenoy arkhivnoy komissii [Proceedings of the Taurian Scientific Archival Commission]. Vol. X. Simferopol, 1890, pp. 9–10. (In Russian)
- Liseytsev D.V. Posol’skiy prikaz v epokhu Smuty [Ambassador’s Order during the Time of Troubles]. Moscow: Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2003. 485 p. (In Russian)
- Liseytsev D.V. Russko-krymskie diplomaticheskie kontakty v nachale XVII stoletiya [Russian-Crimean diplomatic contacts in the beginning of the seventeenth century]. Tyurkologichesiy sbornik, 2005: Tyurkskie narody Rossii i Velikoy stepi [Studia Turkologica, 2005: Turkic Peoples of Russia and the Great Steppe]. Moscow: Oriental literature, 2006, pp. 238–282. (In Russian)
- Novosel’skiy A.A. Bor’ba Moskovskogo gosudarstva s tatarami v pervoy polovine XVII v. [Fight of the Muscovite State against Tatars in the first half of the seventeenth century]. Moscow; Leningrad: Academy of Sciences of USSR, 1948. 448 p. (In Russian)
- Razryadnye knigi 1598–1638 [The Official Order Books of 1598–1638]. Moscow: Institute of History of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1974. 398 p. (In Russian)
- Pavlov A.P. Dumnye i komnatnye lyudi tsarya Mikhaila Romanova: prosopograficheskoe issledovanie [Dumnye and Room People of Tsar Mikhail Romanov: Prosopografic Research]. Vol. 1. St. Petersburg: “Dmitry Bulanin” printing house, 2019. 784 p. (In Russian)
- Sergeev A.A. Posol’stvo Amvrosiya Lodyzhenskogo i pod”yachego Petra Danilova v Krym v 1613 godu (K 300-letnemu yubileyu Tsarstvuyushchego Doma Romanovykh) [Amvrosiy Lodyzhensky and Petr Danilov’s’s embassy to Crimea in 1613 (to the 300th anniversary of the reigning Romanov dynasty)]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy Arkhivnoy Uchenoy Komissii [Proceedings of the Taurian Scientific Archival Commission]. Vol. 50. Simferopol: Printing house of the Tauride Provincial Zemstvo, 1913, pp. 7–19. (In Russian)
- Sergeev A.A. Nakaz, dannyy otpravlennym v Krym poslannikam Ambrosiyu Lodyzhenskomu i pod”yachemu Petru Danilovu, s ob”yavleniem ob izbranii na Rossiyskoe tsarstvo gosudarya Mikhaila Fedorovicha. S otpiskami ikh i stateynym spiskom bytnosti ikh v Krymu [Instructions to ambassadors to Crimea, Ambrosiy Lodyzhensky and Petr Danilov, announcing the election of the Russian Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich]. Izvestiya Tavricheskoy Arkhivnoy Uchenoy Komissii [Proceedings of the Taurian Scientific Archival Commission]. Vol. 50. Simferopol: Printing house of the Tauride Provincial Zemstvo, 1913, pp. 20–56. (In Russian)
- Trepavlov V.V. Istoriya Nogayskoy Ordy [History of the Nogai Horde]. Moscow: Oriental literature, 2001. 752 p. (In Russian)
- Trepavlov V.V. Rossiyskie knyazheskie rody nogayskogo proiskhozhdeniya (genealogicheskie istoki i rannyaya istoriya) [Russian princely kins of the Nogai origin (genealogical sources and early history)]. Tyurkologicheskiy sbornik, 2002 [Studia Turkologica, 2002]. Moscow: Oriental literature, 2003, pp. 320–353. (In Russian)
About the author: Aleksandr V. Vinogradov – Cand. Sci. (History), Senior Research Fellow of the Institute of Russian History of the Russian Academy of Sciences (19, Dmitry Ulyanov Str., Moscow 117292, Russian Federation); ORCID: 0000-0002-7241-8671. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received January 20, 2020 Accepted for publication June 8, 2020
Published Online June 29, 2020